Honoring James P. Pappas
The James P. Pappas Scholarship is an annual award made by the Hall of Fame to an adult education major who is working toward the completion of a higher education degree. This scholarship was awarded for the first time in 2016.
The James P. Pappas Scholarship honors Dr. James P. Pappas, executive director of the International Adult and Continuing Education Hall of Fame, for his tireless dedication to and support of the Hall of Fame and for his far-reaching contributions to the field of continuing education.
In 1997, Dr. Pappas was inducted into the Hall of Fame and has been a member of the Hall of Fame’s board of directors from its beginning
Application Deadline: September 1, 2020
Download both forms and complete:
For questions, please review the details below or email email@example.com.
How to Apply
The International Adult and Continuing Education Hall of Fame is pleased to offer a $1,000 scholarship each year to a U.S. or international adult education major who is working toward the completion of a higher education degree.
All applicants must submit the IACEHOF application form, college transcript(s), and a written essay.
Submit these application materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, two recommendation forms are required for each applicant. Applicants should instruct their recommenders to use the IACEHOF recommendation form.
Recommendations also should be emailed to email@example.com.
The eligibility requirements for the James P. Pappas Scholarship are as follows:
- Be currently enrolled in an educational program which focuses on adult and/or continuing education or adult learning at a regional or nationally accredited institution. Acceptable majors include but are not limited to Adult and Higher Education, Educational Leadership, Education Administration, and Educational Studies.
- Be a first time bachelor or graduate degree seeker.
- Undergraduate applicants must have a minimum of 12 hours (units) with a cumulative 2.5 GPA from the institution; graduate applicants must have a minimum of 6 hours (units) with a cumulative 3.0 GPA from the institution.
- Submit an unofficial college or university transcript from your current institution.
- Ask two persons to submit recommendations. (Each recommender must use this recommendation form.) These recommendations must be completed by persons unrelated to the applicant who will attest to the applicant’s motivation, character, integrity, and educational pursuit. One recommendation must be from a faculty member or academic advisor.
- Submit an essay on the topic below which will be judged on written content and writing skills and must be at least 400-750 words in length.
Identify current issues and challenges in the field of adult education and/or continuing education. What do you see as future trends for the field? In what way(s) do you hope to impact the field? What is your personal philosophy of lifelong learning?
Applications that are incomplete or are from ineligible individuals will not be considered.
Finalists may be required to provide additional documentation, if needed.